13.11.09

Allez Le Verts

On the radio this morning it was contended that the acid test for being Irish, for those of a certain vintage, was based on a feeling of nostalgic exultation for the following two things:
  1. David O'Leary's penalty at Italia '90 against Romania
  2. Riverdance at Eurovision '91.
These two events were cited as being catalystic in the new found national confidence and planted the seeds of the Celtic Tiger. So not necessarily a good thing one might argue...

Now I'm not Irish but I do remember O'Leary's penalty fondly. There were a few Celtic players in that team so I followed the Irish with great interest.

As for Riverdance, I'd like to think that if I was Irish I'd despise it even more than I already do. Which is a lot. But I'm a bit leery as to whether this is the prevailing opinion in this state. I've met a few people who've demurred when I've blithely mentioned the utter ghastlyness of the risible Flatley and his ilk. So I don't mention it. At least I know I have Ardal O'Hanlon on my side and that'll do.

Back to the soccerball though. Ireland play France tomorrow night and even though Mcgeady might not play I'm excited about the game. I really hope, er, "we" win and beat the French over two legs. Playing them on a Saturday night is always a good thing. Their collective psyche, I expect, will be more focused on fois gras, red wine and gitanes than any sporting gaiety.

Seriously, pushing the old racism to one side, isn't this an electrifying offer in these (what are we calling it again?) "financially straitened times". In certain pubs, you don't even have to pay four euro for a pint of Heineken. For every goal that Ireland, under the ultra judicious Trapattoni, score you can get a whole euro off a pint!

Flabbergasting! It makes you wonder how they can still turn a profit...

No comments: