8.5.10

Dry Your Eyes Mate


In the car the other day with the kids. They were fighting in the back like normal. Just generally making noise and not letting me listen to the music which was The Streets, "A Grand Don't Come For Free".

Then the majestic "Dry Your Eyes Mate" came on and we had four minutes and twenty nine seconds of utter, rapt silence. The power of powerful music can be something to behold.

"Put that one on again Dad", the youngest one said. So I did, even in the knowledge that the line "I'm not gonna fuckin', just fuckin' leave it all now" was about to put their daily "fuck" level up to at least four.

3 comments:

Big Mikey said...

Absolutely awesome song. Certainly one of Skinner's best. Has a rather personal memory for me too. Good choice.

And, for some reason, the Captcha required for me to add this comment is "Debum". Which made me laugh.

musters said...

So ... tell me about this "personal" memory.

Big Mikey said...

Only just saw your comment Mr.Musters - didn't get an email notification saying someone had responded to my comment so apologies for not replying sooner.

The sudden and unexpected process of breaking up as so memorably described by Mr. Skinner uncannily mirrors an experience I had some years earlier. Only with more self-loathing, pleading and general mental and professional meltdown. Hence the "personal memory".

Song still makes me tear up now. Pretty awesome choon.