23.7.10

Latichood (ii)

Greenpeace

The sign outside the Greenpeace tent proclaimed:
"Best Sandwiches in Suffolk - Jamie Oliver".
"Best in Suffolk, Darlin'", he undoubtedly said when asked about the sandwiches. They were bits of white bread with butter and either cheese or vegemite in the middle.
~~~
In the queue for two coffees and two hot chocolates. Ten servers asked me, in turn, if they could help. I explained to nine of them that I was already being served. Nice people. Roughly a hundred piercings between them. When I got to the front two coffees but no hot chocolate. Consternation all the way down the line.
"He said he was being served"
"I thought you were getting them"
"I gave them to that lady"
Nice people. You just wouldn't want them in any sort of ... well, anything really.

Oxfam

Thirteen hundred hours. Already eighty quid gone today. Somehow. Juice, crisps, ice lollies, ice cream, burgers, chips. God knows what else. As we passed the Oxfam tent I asked the lady if she'd be interested in borrowing my kids for studies into childhood hunger. She solemnly declined but asked if I'd mind filling in a form. Then she asked me for money. Ninety.

Trespass

Being a strange logo to put on a tent. Asking for trouble.

Paul Heaton

He passed out a bottle of Cognac which was to be passed back to him empty 'cos he's a sound bloke and likes to give away hard liquor. I found myself taking a glug in the afternoon sun which, truth be told, went down rather well with the pear cider I was already drinking.
~~~
The guy next to me asked me to hold his pint and then used both hands to pull up his fly. "Thanks" he said, taking back his pint. "Welcome", I replied, thinking 'couldn't he have managed that with one hand?'. I felt used and vaguely soiled but any number of things could have been responsible for that!

Mustering

Before Midlake. The best band at Latitude. Or anywhere.

2 comments:

Steve H said...

Midlake were excellent as ever, and if you liked them you may have liked Chief and Grizzly Bear. But I would reserve best for Gentleman's Dub Club, (Sunrise stage, midnight Saturday) who were purely mental.

Best server story - took 2 cups (£2 deposit each) back to the bar and bought one pint (£3.60 plus £2 deposit for cup), and this human pin cushion gives me 40p change. I did not argue.

musters said...

Sorry didn't get a chance to meet you Steve. Didn't get a chance to do do any number of things I wanted to. Next time I go sans famille. I caught a bit of Grizzly Bear. Missed John Grant tho - Midlake played on his album ... dunno if they played on his set. Dirty Projectors another highlight for me - I didn't know them before.