31.7.10

Talking at Gigs

Talking during gigs is an absolute no-no. There was a fair bit of ill-mannered chit-chat during the Bonnie 'Prince' Billy gig last night. Such was the absolute splendour of the man's spellbinding performance, I abandoned my golden AVOID CONFRONTATION AT ALL COSTS rule and told the guy filibustering next to me to SHUT UP. He looked over at me angrily. I looked back. Then we both looked down at the guy in the wheelchair he'd been talking to. Quite possibly he'd been describing what was happening up on the stage. The bald, wild-eyed Tennessean poet holding the audience in the palm of his hand (not literally, he's not a giant and the audience weren't microscopic). His too short checked shirt, beer belly and horse-shoe moustache more suggestive of an Appalachian cotton field than the Galway races. I admit I felt a bit guilty. Chatty-boy clearly felt he was in the right. So, is it ok to talk to people in wheelchairs at gigs?

Eh, NOPE.

No comments: