8.8.09

The black man's music...

I forgot to mention. When I dropped the car back at Jo'burg airport I gave the guy a cd. A blues sampler from Uncut.

I'm sure he would of preferred a straight cash deal but he was visibly moved anyway.

"The Blues, eh", he said.
"Yea, the black man's music in America", I seemed to say out loud.

He then hugged me. Quite a tight one that went on for ages. About 5 seconds probably.

During that period I thought of a few things. The years of apartheid, Mandela, truth and reconciliation. I was thinking how much I loved the people here. It was my last trip and in a funny sorta way I was gonna miss this beautiful country.

Mostly though, I was thinking about the overwhelming smell of body odour and ways that I could conceivably avoid catching swine flu.

3 comments:

Horse said...

hey, i thought that blues cd was for me? the beginning of my musical education. the odour issue is real.

mcgenius said...

Trying to teach an INXS fan the blues?

"I got those - stole kylie's virginity, married a clapped out old slapper that geldof had the best years from, wanked myself to death with a belt wrapped round my neck - blues, oh yeah mama".

Hmmm... can't see it meself.

musters said...

I thought the black man needed it more than you.