25.8.09

Vivaldi's Four Seasons

I went to hear the Cologne (Colognic?) Philharmonic Chamber Orchestra play last night. I was in the very front row but had no fear of being picked on by these nice young Germans. They played beautifully with great energy and verve. They played Bach, Handel, Mozart and the whole of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. The entire album! They played the piece collaboratively and authentically, laying to rest the ghost of Nigel Kennedy's virtuoso, modernist, uptempo fiasco.

The only thing that ruined it for me was that the woman next to me continually hummed along to the well known bits. After the show, I was discussing this with my Mum. I told her that humming along to an orchestra was an absolute NoNo and constituted a social faux pas of gargantuan proportions. It would certainly have ruined an otherwise splendid evening's entertainment for anyone within the hapless woman's general vicinity. She agreed and told me that in future she would take greater care to restrain herself.

No comments: