31.10.09

The Liberty Of Norton ... Folgate

Despite a late rally on the inside rail by Richard Hawley upon the sublime Truelove's Gutter, Madness aboard The Liberty Of Norton Folgate held on to win by a short head.

Win what, Musters Old Bean?
Why my album of the year of course!

You should believe me. This superb paean to the dark side of old London Town is an album utterly replete with top-notch singles. If such things even exist in this day and age.

You should believe me because heretofore I've had little interest in Madness or their music. I was thoroughly ambivalent towards these geezers. This album grabbed my attention about six months ago and hasn't stopped since. It's easily the best thing they've done.

The best single on this album full of singles is the beautiful, moving NW5 which contains the best lyric of the year:
I will have to live my life
But without you in my life
You might think it's a bit naff rhyming 'life' with 'life'. But in ain't. It's bleedin' splendiferous, chums.

No comments: