24.7.09

BBC 'Entertainment'

Last night I was, as my youngest daughter once memorably put it, two hundred percent under the weather. I'll spare you the details but, suffice to say, I was lying in bed unable to do anything except look at the television which was on the 'BBC Entertainment' channel.

When I was younger I used to quite happily watch all manner of BBC drama. Nowadays I find it unremittingly awful. Last night was no exception.

We started with Ashes to Ashes which promisingly starred my old school mate, Keeley Hawes. Sadly, I have to report that, stunning as she looked, she was flippin' awful in this absurd police drama with it's annoying habit of shoehorning irrelevant eighties references into the dialogue. Yes we know it's the bloody eighties just by looking at your stupid clothes. This show was unbelievably badly plotted and written and when it was finished I was at least another hundred percent under the weather.

Next up, Mistresses which was supposed to be sexy. It's not sexy. It's just plain silly. The entire episode was basically a build up towards a sex scene with each of the four female protagonists. Not together but with separate men, you understand. And the sex scenes had barely any sex in them. So my advice would be to forget the turgid build up and just fill the entire show full of long and explicit sex scenes. Just an idea.

Last was New Tricks at which, fortunately, I quickly became fast asleep. Before I dozed off it had showed definite signs of being, amongst staggeringly stiff competition, the worst show of a very enlightening, bed-bound evening.

Am I to believe they actually broadcast this shite on British television?

2 comments:

ageing hipster said...

I quite like New Tricks. Man, it's got Amanda Redman in it - how bad's it going to be?

Haven't you got iPlayer or nuffing? You could have watched The Street, or Freefall, or even quality rubbish like Dragon's Den...

mcgenius said...

iPlayer don't work outside of the United Kingdom of England.

Unless you have a sneaky wee UK-based proxy.

Only BBC drama I've watched this year was that "Occupation" thing. And it was excellent - even Jimmy "Call Me James" Nesbitt couldn't bring it down.