16.12.09

Margo - A Toast From An Irish Colleen


One of the biggest regrets of my life thus far is not buying this record on Sunday.

It would have cost me a mere 50c and if I could time-travel back to any point in our civilisation's rich and glorious history it would be to the School Fair, Kilcolgan, County Galway, Ireland, Sunday, 1pm. And I'd buy this record.

It's by Margo and it's called A Toast From An Irish Colleen.

The term "Colleen" is usually used to describe Irish women generally. The fact that she's already supplied us with her name - Margo - makes it's use somewhat redundant. Like, "Jane, an Australian Sheila".

Daft.

Anyway, I suppose I'll just have to get on with it. What else can you do?

4 comments:

mcgenius said...

She's Daniel O'Donnell's big sister doncha know. Really, she is.

musters said...

I didn't know that but now you've told me it's bleedin obvious...

Would you say she's a/ more, b/ less or c/ the same talented as her wee brother?

mcgenius said...

That's a nigh on impossible question to answer - much like the "Who's the best - Philomena Begley or Susan McCann?" debates of yore.

We never did figure that one out. Philomena got the kudos for being namechecked in a Pogues song but I never thought this was sufficient of an accolade to definitively resolve the issue.

I'd say Margo is more likely than Daniel to buy her round. Does that help?

mcgenius said...

And lest I forget, spare a thought for poor Colleen Nolan out of The Nolan Sisters.

Her parents musta truly run out of names by that point.

"It's a girl, Mrs Nolan"

"Great. I'll call her Irish Girl. Irish Girl Nolan!"