17.12.09

The XX


The XX are Dubstep. Or possibly Ultra Dub. Or something.

I don't know much about music (I don't even know what I like) but, watching The XX play last made me think that there's a lot to be said for a musical education (not always a good thing in this observer's view). These kids though from the same stable as the equally excellent Four Tet, Hot Chip and Burial were magic. The precise, impassive, understated vocal interplay of the two singers coupled with a relentless (and I mean relentless) baseline were very cool and sexy indeed (and I certainly don't know nothing about cool and sexy).

Now that the term "X-Factor" has been forever debased by Simon Powell and his shit-eating cohorts it's time to up the ante. Step aside, turkeys, here comes the real talent.

It's The XX Factor.

No comments: