5.12.09

Talking Heads

Seeing that Alan Bennett's brilliant Talking Heads is on tonight reminded me of an embarrassing incident some years ago.

I was only about eighteen at the time and taking some tentative and, thankfully, abortive steps into local politics. I'd been to an SNP meeting. Then, as now, I thoroughly support independence for Scotland but this meeting was boring and, if it were possible, my fellow seekers of Scottish separatism were even duller.

After the meeting they asked me if I fancied a pint. Now I could have found any number of excuses but, unfortunately, the one that I blurted out happened to the the truth.

"Sorry, I can't. I need to go home and watch Talking Heads", I said. They just stared at me.
"It's Thora Hird tonight", I added.

I didn't particularly strike me as a strange thing to say but, looking back, what must they have thought of me heading home to watch that - none more English - of tv programs rather than joining them for some - none more Scottish - pints?

One could only wonder. I don't think I ever went back. I think, essentially, my problem is that I like English stuff far too much to be any good at being an SNP.

1 comment:

Paras Jairath said...

Nice blog.... keep on blogging.