17.4.09

Adding Value

I'm heading to the airport soon. Someone just invited me to a meeting in Egypt but that's not where I'm bound. Ah, hold on now, I've just realised something. I don't think she meant Egypt the country. There must be a place called Egypt where they hold meetings. A meeting room perhaps. Now I feel like an idiot. I'd looked at her like she was crazy. 

"Egypt", I said. "Egypt", I repeated. I seriously considered saying it one more time but, instead, plumped for "I wouldn't have thought so". Then I did say it again. "Egypt!!!".

It's a shame because, you never know, perhaps I could have added value. To the meeting. Not the country. I did add value to a meeting this morning though. The best kind of value. Betting without monetary value, arguably. Comedic value. Sadly, I fear that no-one recognised it. 

Not all meeting rooms here are named after Egypt, the country. Some, I suppose, are named after other countries. But there is one room that isn't named after any country at all. It's the most important room in the building and it's called, menacingly, the "War Room". Happily the meeting there earlier was well placed. It was very turbulent and the "players" argued violently back and forward. I didn't say much but simply enjoyed the tension. 

Suddenly, I realised that everyone was staring at me. I was being asked for of my views on the matter. I wasn't absolutely sure what the matter was but, capturing the spirit of the late, great Peter Sellers, I replied simply:

"No fighting in the War Room".

Everyone continued to stare. I looked around the room. The room looked back at me. I was hoping perhaps for a small chuckle. Part of me even hoped for a small cuddle. That peace would break out. What happened was this. Everyone stopped staring at me. They started arguing again. 

What a relief! My value had done no harm.

No comments: