13.4.09

Springbok and Protea

The other thing that's changing over here is the Springbok as the national emblem. It's viewed (by some) as being symbolic of apartheid and the black man's struggle. So the national flower, the Protea, is to replace it. Thus we will have rugby players running around with flowers on their chest. It's possible that they might find this emasculating.

I've spoken to several people about this and all, black and white, think it is ludicrous and to use the tabloid term "political correctness gone mad".

It was thus-then-that, last night, I had no hesitation in ordering Springbok. My waiter was extremely surly. He treated me with absolute disdain throughout the meal. Perhaps it was because I ordered the Springbok but I don't think so. If it is indeed symbolic of apartheid and the black man's struggle then surely eating it (and literally and metaphorically shitting it out) is a good thing.

No, I just think that, like many of the waiters in the superb Butcher's Grill on Mandela Square, he's a grumpy old bastard. Doesn't bother me. I care little for the black man's mood swings. Not when the food is that good.

No comments: