12.4.09

Avocado Stoner

I just finished reading the ever excellent Stuart Maconie's new book "Life on the High Teas". A surprisingly affectionate meditation (sorry) on "Middle England". 

Strange thing is this. In the book, he purchases a bottle of Dalwhinie. I read that on the plane having just purchased a bottle of that gentle giant of a malt from the highest distillery in Scotland.

Later, he buys an avocado stoner. I'd no idea what one of those was but I do struggle somewhat removing the stone from that buttery-pear tasting fruit which, as any fule kno, is technically a berry.

Today, whilst mooching in a shop, I was astonished to find the very implement right in front of me. After the Dalwhinie, it seemed churlish not to buy it. So I picked it up, put it right back down again and walked out the shop. 

Sometimes it pays to be churlish.

No comments: