10.4.09

Caution! Rhinos


During an abortive drive into work this morning we were discussing the game drives which are available in the national parks around 'Jozi'. Frankly, I myself have very little interest in getting up at 4am and  spending 16 hours driving, on the off chance of seeing some zebras fornicating. I can get that kind of thing on my intanet. 

My friend, Damian, on the other hand, is a big fan of the activity. Not the sexual habits of stripey horses per se (although I doubt he'd turn his nose up at it) but the pursuit of seeing big animals in their natural  habitat. Or, rather, he was. I get the impression that, after tens and tens of visits, his interest is waning somewhat.

I suggested to him that he takes the next logical step. 
"What would that be?" he asked. 
"Well, y'now...", I replied, "...kill an animal...shoot it. Like Hemingway. A rhino, say".
"Why would I want to do that?", he asked, aghast at the very idea".
"Well for the tusks of course", I replied.

Wasn't it bleedin' obvious?

No comments: