29.3.09

Do you feel thirsty?

Follow me, don't follow me
I've got my spine, I've got my orange crush
Collar me, don't collar me
I've got my spine, I've got my orange crush
So begins the REM song, Orange Crush. Doesn't it make you feel parched? A lovely cool glass of orange is the very thing for a warm summer day, isn't it? Or so supposed Simon Mayo in his introduction to the song on Top of the Pops in 1988.

Then, last night, after Holland had trounced Scotland 3-0, Setanta chose the same music in their closing montage in celebration of the Dutch and their famed "total football". Rousing stuff indeed.

The song, of course, is about Agent Orange. Napalm.

Pesky, oblique Stipe singing about a genocidal defoliant/herbicide used by U.S. forces during the Vietnam War. How the heck are people off the telly supposed to know that?

No comments: