3.3.09

What's in a Kiss?

What's in a kiss? Have you wondered that?

According to academics in London, no less, the kiss is a "capacious carrier of much social, political and cultural freight".

On the other hand, Gilbert of the O'Sullivan, in his song "What's in a kiss?" wonders if it's,
"More perhaps than just one moment of bliss"
Or less, I would posit. It depends on who you're kissing doesn't it? Good. Another thorny issue put to bed. 

Not so, says Gilbert. He is not content with the more/less bliss/kiss solution. Far from content. He now wants to know what's in a dream. He wonders, 
"Is it all the things you'd like to have been".

Well it depends on the dream and, indeed, all the things you'd like to have been. Happy now? Is he fuck, happy. But at least he's honest. He goes on:
"I know it's really rather stupid of me, But I honestly don't know, Every time I try to find a solution, I'm surprised at how quickly I've become so slow".

You weren't always like this then? Are we still talking about dreams or are we back to kisses, by the way? Or a bit of both? But now the song shifts up a gear.

"And any time you need a light refreshment, Baby, you can count on me, I am your very own delicatessen, Well-equipped to supply you with your every need"

I'm not sure how to respond to this. Suffice to say that the very least of the problems here is the "refreshment"/"delicatessen" "rhyme". It turns out he didn't really care about kisses and dreams. That was just a ruse. All he really wanted to do was buy her a coke. Quite lovely when you think about it.

No comments: