12.11.08

John Kelly


McGenius skyped me yesterday thusly,
[11/11/2008 12:58:02] 
McGenius says: Hey, John Kelly - you read his novel?

I had read it not. I'm a big fan of John Kelly's radio show but I didn't even know he'd written a novel.

I deliberately kept him waiting before lying,
[11/11/2008 13:02:28] 
Musters says: I've been meaning to get it for a while now.

[11/11/2008 13:02:34] 
McGenius says: S'on my desk if you'd like

I was over at his desk at [11/11/2008 13:02:42]

Yes I got there in 8 seconds. Lickety-split.

The book is called Sophisticated Boom Boom and, like all Kelly's work, I heartily recommend it to you. Yes I have it read already. I devoured it, meaning I read it quickly, not ate it, by [12/11/2008 13:02:42]. In less than 24 hours. 

Saying John Kelly is a DJ is a bit like saying Leonard Cohen is a singer. It doesn't even begin to tell the whole story. Listening to his afternoon show on RTE's Lyric FM will offer you an aural experience nonpareil. He'll take you from Bach to Aphex Twin through Wayne Shorter, Toumani Diabate and Orlando Gibbons back to Sigur Ros and Elbow before you know what's hit you. 

There truly is no better musical arbiter in whom to trust your your listening pleasure. Even a dinner party chez (woops) Musters would be unlikely to throw up such outrageously good taste.

His book shows, through the character's childhood experiences in Fermanagh, how Kelly's love of music developed and how in the most mundane surroundings music retained the power to uplift and inspire. All sorts of music. He just missed out on Punk and the Pistols but found solace and salvation in Horslips and Handel instead. 

I won't say much more about the book primarily because I'm fibbing when I say I've read it already. I didn't get where I am today by reading books before reviewing them.

No comments: