27.11.08

Why the ten?

If a cup of tea is €2.10 you might ask yourself why.

Like this : Why?

You probably wouldn't bother asking why you'd been ripped off. You'd expect that. Especially on a train [1].

A better question would be why €2.10. Or why the .10?

I can see two possible reasons for the .10 :
  1. A charge of €2 exactly sounds like they just made it up. Plucked a number out of thin air.
  2. They simply couldn't do it for less. Suzie in Accounts crunched the numbers, cooked up a pie-chart which said €2.10.
€2.10 for a cup of tea though. Can you imagine! What with the credit crunch and everything. 

Imagine if you went into a bank and asked for a loan of €2.10 for a cup of tea. They'd laugh at you. And rightly so. 

Haven't you heard about the credit crunch, they'd say.

[1] Funnily enough, I was charged €2.10 for a cup of tea this very morning. On a train.

6 comments:

mcgenius said...

Option 1:
It was €2 but the-powers-that be imposed a 5% price rise on everything

Option 2:
Suzy from accounts conceded that it was taking the piss a bit, but that the passport-losing twat would probably expense it anyway. So no harm done.

themusiclist said...

I often pay £0.50 for a large cup of tea in work and think that that is too much. Especially so when I have to walk past the kettle and t-bags/milk in the Actuarial department. I always wonder if the Actuaries mentally size me up and within a couple of seconds have not only calculated my BMI but also the day I will die because I chose to pay for my tea and not used the t-bags/milk I contribute to.

themusiclist said...

It's not even nice tea btw.

themusiclist said...

PS is anyone ever going to invite me back?

musters said...

I think you made the right choice Leigh. You should stand over it.
The Samurai say that every decision should be made in seven breaths and one should never look back on one's chosen path.

themusiclist said...

Damn them Samurai!

It's actually been quite liberating really. I find i've loads of time on my hands. I might even start a blog of my own. Hardly anyone can call me a tosser then.