6.2.09

About the Journey

I don't know anything about roads. Some folks talk with great authority about which roads they use to get to work. Some of them take different roads on different days and know why. They even know the name of the road.

I don't have a clue about roads. I just get in car and go. Usually I have no recollection of any aspect the journey, far less the road names.

It was very cold this morning and the roads were icy. Dropping the eldest daughter off at school I saw a great opportunity to discuss the road conditions with another parent. I seized it!

"Roads are pretty bad today, huh Ronan"
"Yea, traffic's chronic".
"Well", I ventured, "pretty wise to stay slow on these roads, eh".

What he said next threw me a loop!

"Ah, well, the side roads should be fine, so".

The side roads! But I thought ... wouldn't the ... if it was icy surely the main ...

We got in the car and drove, in companionable silence, to work. I'm now resolved never to talk about roads again.

No comments: