23.2.09

Get Pissed Monday

Seems like today is "Get Pissed Monday" in Galway. 

I went out for my lunchtime constitutional and everyone was either in the process of getting pissed or had already achieved it in resounding fashion. This was at 1pm on a Monday!

I was walking behind, at a respectful distance, six young girls who were drinking cans of cider and getting pissed. I slowed down a bit to let them get further ahead in case they picked on me. A car went by and beeped loudly. Stupidly I raised my hand to waive and quickly realised that, of course, he was beeping at the "lovely girls" on "Get Pissed Monday". Sadly, he saw me waiving and thought I was an idiot.

Four or five more cars went by and boisterously beeped at the girls. I'd fallen further behind by now, I actually needed my binoculars to see them properly, so I had plenty of time not to stupidly waive at the cars as if they'd been beeping at me. 

But I did waive anyway. They weren't to know that I knew they weren't beeping at me!

3 comments:

mcgenius said...

I encountered two groups of blokes in a similar state of inebriation staggering twixt pavement and road on my way home from the orifice.

It's a sad day when you realise that your own rag week shenanigans were considerably more than half a lifetime ago.

Though it was all a bit "wacky" (possible mis-print) for me even then...

oranmoregal said...

And probably significantly tamer. I hear they've banned it in Galway now due to 50 arrests, women pissing in the streets, showing both breasts in Cathedrals and throwing themselves of bridges. Quite bloody right.

musters said...

Ok Mum, that's fine, get back to bed now, I'll bring you in your cocoa. You like cocoa don't you.