19.2.09

Drunk and Wilde

My friend ageing hipster, himself an ageing hipster,  put me in my mind of Oscar Wilde this morning by quoting him whilst twittering.

Later, whilst walking in Galway, I saw Oscar sitting 'pon a bench with a drunken old fool. I thought there might be a blog in it so I took this picture. I wanted to take a picture of Oscar alone but the drunken old fool insisted on being in't. 
He said "Sit down and give me a bit of your old craic ya cheeky dosser."

That's right, the drunken old fool called me a cheeky dosser! I didn't have the slightest bit of "old craic" and, anyway, I knew he only wanted money. So I gave him a euro for a cuppa tea and bid him good day.

Wilde said:  
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. 

He's a genius with the words all right but he keeps some dodgy company these days.

No comments: