14.1.09

Billy Jo-el


I always think a fail safe indicator of a bad DJ is if they introduce a record with:
Mist-er Billy Jo-el.

Especially if it's David Bowie or Jackie Wilson they play. 

But even if it is actually Mist-er Billy Jo-el why the Mister?

I think they're trying to play the deferential, "I am not worthy" card but it's just plain fawning and borderline creepy actually.

This one DJ, who I just got badly exposed to in the car there, actually did play Billy Jo-el and added the Mist-er. At the end of whichever uptempo fiasco it was, he said (and I kid you not):
"Mist-er Billy Jo-el, one of the finest storytellers of our time".

I was too stunned to reply to him. But he continued anyway. Here's what he said next:
"Perfect musical accompaniment for summer days painting the garage door".

Yup, that's what he said. Again, I had no reply. But he wasn't finished. He killed the debate stone-dead with the virtually sectionable:
"For back in the days when we had the weather anyway".

This time I was ready for him.
"I'm no meteorologist", I informed him, "but I believe we do still have the weather".

Clever eh! That shut him up and he went straight to the traffic.

No comments: