16.1.09

Horse Racing

In the waiting room they had the racing channel on. Horse racing.

I thought this was a bit strange but I didn't say anything. Instead, I watched the 2:35 from Uttoxeter which was won by the favourite Here's Johnny by a short head.

Then I picked up my paper and started to read it. What did I care if the racing channel was on? It was a odd, sure, this was a hospital and not a turf accountants. I looked around and there was myself and six older women waiting. Waiting and watching yesterday's racing from Uttoxeter.

I was reading my paper. I put the whole racing thing out of my mind and read about the war. I wasn't annoyed about the racing. Then I realised. I was annoyed that no-one else was annoyed. Why were these women not complaining about the racing being on? Frankly, it was simply inappropriate for a hospital waiting room.

I stood up. "Is anyone watching this racing?", I asked.
"No, switch it over, son", said the woman next to me.
"What do you want to watch?", I asked.
"Anything but bloody racing", she replied.

I found Sky News and looked around the room. Everyone looked at me approvingly thinking:
He must work here.

Then a nurse called my name. "The plastic surgeon is ready". She said.

No comments: