7.1.09

Radiohead, Jazz?

I was on the phone today with my good friend Bob who is known round these parts, inexplicably, as ageing hipster. We were discussing jazz and I made the following remark to him which I can transcribe exactly as I was using my Dic-ta-phone.

Jazz is a broad church. Peggy Lee, Frank Sinatra, Julie London et al (are) certainly a form of jazz. Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Duke Ellington another (form of jazz). Cannnonball Adderley, Ornette Coleman even Radiohead another (form of jazz) and another (form of jazz) and another (form of jazz).
If you'll allow me, jazz in it's purest form is the American take on classical music. No album defines the genre better than Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue which could be taken as either classical or jazz. Or neither. In fact it would be more accurately described as American Classical Music.

I honestly felt that I'd added value to our conversation but he replied most violently as follows:
Radiohead? Fuck off.
This'll be going into your blog, won't it.

I assured him that this was a private conversation between gentlemen and that it certainly wouldn't be going into my blog. That seemed to calm him down a bit.

Some people, eh...

No comments: