6.1.09

Lakeview Terrace


The clear air turbulence over the Denmark Strait towards Iceland yesterday was as nothing by comparison to this gripping, harrowing but ultimately silly movie.

I found the film deeply disturbing but I was more than usually deeply disturbed in any case. Other factors contributing to my deep sense of disturbment were:
  • sleep (lack of)
  • altitude (very high)
  • guilt (I was ignoring the kids)
  • pink pen (missing) 
  • Greenland (in general)
This was my third movie of the night.

The first one was The Clearing which had Robert Redford, Helen Mirren and Willem Defoe in it. It tried to be an edgy European-style psychological thriller but failed dismally and wasted an hour and half of my valuable kids' sleeping time. I ended up wondering, not for the first time, if there were many worse actors than Robert Redford. There can only be a few hundred max.

Next, I watched Raising Arizona for perhaps only the third time and thoroughly enjoyed it combining it, as I did, with colouring, drawing, puzzles and post-prandial brandies.

The last movie was Appaloosa which I watched over Ireland on the way to France to catch a connecting flight back to Ireland. Crazy but such is the burden we bear. Appaloosa is pretty much a meat'n'potatoes western although it did have some funny moments and the relationship between Ed Harris who directs and stars as Sheriff Virgil Cole and his floosey girlfiend played by Renée Zellweger is strange and unpredictable to say the least. The star of the film though is Viggo Mortensen who steals the show with his cool, sophisticated portayal of Cole's deputy, Everett Hitch. The baddie, Bragg, is played supremely unconvincingly by Jeremy Irons. Baddies are suppose to be many things but hammy effete thesp's is most assuredly not one of them. They would have been as well giving the role to Pierce Brosnan and sticking Irons into the ludicrous Mamma Mia. If they'd wanted to.

Welcome back to me!

No comments: