16.12.08

C&W

One of my daughters, can't recall precisely which one, said to me yesterday,

Please Daddy Don't Get Drunk This Christmas.

Don't kids say the cutest things?

In saying those words she accidentally recalled the precise title of a song by Alan Jackson. She also triggered a reaction in me which made me immediately set aside Mahler, Aphex Twin and their unremittingly demanding ilk. I realised that this Christmas would be a Country and Western Christmas and that, sadly, I would, indeed, get drunk.

I started this morning with George Jones. The greatest singer of them all. Then straight onto Dolly with her Coat of Many Colours. I even dipped briefly into the arch Big Hat himself, Garth Brooks. I only like one of his songs. I've Got Friends In Low Places. But, yessir, I sure do love that song a whole lot!

Slaid Cleaves and Hayes Carll were quickly followed by the great Lyle Lovett and that's what I have on now. I also have on one of my C&W shirts. Black with white trim. I didn't even mean to take things this far. I just stumbled to the closet and found my cleanest dirty shirt.


 

No comments: