6.12.08

Lightning


The best footballer ever to come from my home town was without doubt John White.

John played for Spurs and was known as "the ghost" for his uncanny ability to appear as if from nowhere in the box. And when the ghost appeared he invariably scored. Like in the picture above where he's probably scoring against Blackpool.

Tragically John was killed by lightning whilst playing golf in 1964.  He was only 27 years of age and at the peak of his career.

My uncle knew him well and tells me he was an absolute gentleman as well as a genius on the football park. 

On the eighteenth green today watching Lee Westwood about to putt I felt a few wet drops on my neck and assumed it was merely the drunk kid behind me pouring lager down my back for a laugh. But within a few seconds the rain was pouring and there was a loud rumble of thunder. Soon after there were streaks of magnificent lightening across the sky.

For heavens sake, I thought, surely it's not about to take the second best footballer ever to grace that honest toun.

No comments: