10.12.08

Wine

It used to be generally accepted that if you were having, say, beef or lamb then you'd drink a red wine. Whereas if you were having chicken or fish then a white wine would most likely be the best match.

Of course there has always been exceptions to these rules. For example a hearty bouillabaisse would most likely find a suitable bedfellow in a robust red. And perhaps a salad with thinly sliced carpaccio of beef would fare better alongside a lighter white. This was ever thus.

I believe that ignorant people in France and Italy who know nothing of these matters still hold on to these antiquated ideals. Poor saps.

But all has changed now it seems. There was a magazine article in some magazine or other and this changed the accepted wisdom completely. The article said that it didn't matter a jot what you were eating. It said you must drink whatever wine you preferred. This magazine article may or may not existed but it caused a collective sigh of relief the world over. No more would food and wine fascists be able to dictate how people lived. 

Now, if I were to suggest to you that a fragrant Semillon Blanc might not quite be the most fitting partner to your venison loin you just tell me to go stick it. You can tell me that these silly rules no longer apply. It simply doesn't matter any more. It said so in the magazine article.

2 comments:

themusiclist said...

I think for some people, Andy let's use as an example, would say that the choice might be "wine?" and not actually care, or indeed understand, that there is even a difference between white or red.

I, for another example, only like white wine. My taste buds are so shot through alcoholism, smoking and drugs that it doesn't really matter. I'm both colour and taste blind. My doctor told me at the tender age of 14 (me, not her) that I had a "geographical tongue". I was confused at the time, but now it's a fine excuse for the mess it looks.

musters said...

So this means you can never eat steak?