10.12.08

Departure

Sitting in the business lounge at Joburg airport. Minding my own business.

Some funny people here though...

An Austrian woman just berated me for lifting my sandwich to my mouth (the better to eat it) without lifting the plate over. I was making crumbs I suppose and she disapproved.

Technically, of course, she was in the right but what a bloody nerve. Then she demanded that I get her some biscuits:
"I have one piece of cheese and I require some biscuits to accompany it with", she told me. 

So I got her the biscuits and watched her very carefully while she ate. Not one single fucking crumb. I'd definitely throw the great brute out of bed but it wouldn't be for making crumbs that's for sure. 

Of course the drink here is quite free. And that seems to be forcing people into drinking weird combinations. I, myself, am sticking to G&T's with nothing more complicated than beer on the side. In the classic style. 

The man opposite me, though, has tonic water, ginger ale, coke and red wine. Crazy. Frau Hitler over the way is drinking baileys, sparking water and still water. She's mixing the sparking and still water in the same glass. I can only assume that makes it less fizzy (or less still) but I daren't ask her in case she starts picking on me again.

I'm thinking about my friend Tom. He always used to insist on me having a beer with my G&T. I'm drinking to him tonight. As I sit here in this lounge he's fighting for his life in hospital. I can hardly believe it. 

If I don't get the chance to see you again, Tam, just want to say I love you mate. Always did.

No comments: