17.12.08

O'Connor's


Was in the worst pub in Ireland last night.

I don't really think there's any doubt about it. O'Connor's "famous" pub in Salthill is truly dismal.

Just look at it!!!

Question:
Does Ireland really need an Oirish theme pub?
No, no, no. A thousand no's.

From the pots and pans hanging above you to the yellowed long johns hanging limply in front of the fire this pub simply reeks of tourist hell. I would urge you avoid this gallimaufry of soulless kitsch with the greatest possible haste. Avoid it now in fact.

Another question:
Does anybody care that Lisdoonvarna is 23 miles in that direction?
No. Especially when it's not. 

Two signs on the piano warned,
DO NOT CLIMB IN THE PIANO!!!

I can only assume that these are aimed at the pixies and elves rather than any of us sad-sack punters.

5 comments:

mcgenius said...

So that means you're still in Oireland. So why did you cancel a beer fest night out on the basis that you were in Scotchland?

musters said...

I'm leaving today soft lad.

mcgenius said...

Dave / Yusef does not agree with your analysis. He reckons you missed the most important point about O'Connors - they serve a mean pint of Guinness.

But mibbe he'll pop round this way and tell you himself.

menounsef said...

You fail to mention the quality of the beer, the professionalism of the staff, the very varied and excellent live music or the fact there's no telly or radio in the place to facilitate conversation.

Tut tut.

musters said...

This is an opinion I'm not unaware of, Dave. I've heard it mentioned many times and I disagree with it.

I think you might allow me a greater knowledge and understanding of Irish culture and pubs than your good self, no?