15.12.08

Hoegaarden

Out last night with the family for a pizza after a very enjoyable Snow Queen ride 'pon the cold, dark ground.

I ordered a Hoegaarden. A beer I'm very fond of. One which goes very well indeed with pizza pie.

The waiter, a very young man, came back and apologised that they were out of Hoegaarden. I informed him that Hoegaarden was a beer I'm very fond of. 

He apologised again and told me that the only other ale they had was Smithwicks.

"Pardon", I said?

He said the only other ale they had was Smithwicks.
I asked him if he minded sitting down for five minutes. That I need to speak to him urgently.

"Pardon", he said?
"Would you please sit down", I repeated. "I need to speak to you".

He told me that he couldn't sit down. He was working. On top of that he was forbidden to sit down with customers. He asked me would I like a pint of Smithwicks.

I told him under no circumstances to bring me a pint, or indeed any other measure, of Smithwicks. Ever. I asked him to bring me a glass of red wine. 

When he returned with the wine and pizza he apologised again. For the third time which was probably only two apologies shy of what I deserved.

I told him it was a damn shame he was forbidden to sit with customers and was working. There was so much I wanted to explain to him.

No comments: