7.5.09

10:14:23 to 10:28:56

Sometimes, without really knowing how, you can get yourself embroiled in the most bizarre and confusing situations. Well you can if you're me anyway. Today, a conversation which started out chatty and happy ended up in bitter recriminations and wild accusations and counter accusations.

This conversation started at 10:14:23 and ended, less than 15 minutes later, at 10:28:56. This was, it hardly needs saying, a Skype chat. Not using voices, but fingers. Skype chats now account for over 80% of the worlds conversations and are leaving, in their wake, a trail of dismay, torment and vigorous head-scratching. Something must be done to stop this meteoric malady of maliferous misinformation in it's tracks.

I know what happened now. I worked it out. 

At 10:23:02 there was a terminological inexactitude committed by one party [1] which resulted in a spiralling divergence of intent from which the chat would never fully recover. At 10:27:59 I'm starting to show signs of losing interest and less than a minute later I bail out. 

I'm left reflecting on this and my mind turns to the ending of the magnificent Cohen brothers film Burn after Reading.
CIA Superior: What did we learn, Palmer? 
CIA Officer: I don't know, sir. 
CIA Superior: I don't fuckin' know either. I guess we learned not to do it again. 
CIA Officer: Yes, sir. 
CIA Superior: I'm fucked if I know what we did. 
CIA Officer: Yes, sir, it's, uh, hard to say 
CIA Superior: Jesus Fucking Christ. 
This just about sums it up.

[1] It was me. I used the word "No" when I meant "Yes".

No comments: