7.5.09

Trolley Dolly

I went shopping to Aldi at lunchtime. Just to pick up a few things. As usual I ended up picking up more than just a few things. The worst excess of which can be found in the boot of my car in the form of a pink plastic container which, apparently, can contain 20 litres. Of what, it does not indicate. But it was cheap so it came with.

I got all the stuff in the car and was returning the trolley in order to collect my €2 coin. I always find it pleasing when someone returning their trolley can be intercepted and given the €2 directly. Thus bypassing the system of getting the €2 back from the trolley. When this happens I think it offers a glimmer of hope for all mankind. It shows initiative, fellowship and saves time. It's also probably, technically, illegal.

But today my faith in mankind was given a bang on the ear. An elderly woman approached me, calm as you like, smiled and said "Here, I'll take that off you, save you the bother" and pressed a coin into my hand. 

As she walked off with the trolley I knew what had happened. "Thank-you", I shouted after her and walked away smiling, shaking my head. I could feel the coin in my clenched hand and I knew that it was no normal €2 coin. It was more in the size and, a quick look revealed, feel of a €1 coin. 

What bravado. What sang froid. What a fucking old scammer.

No comments: