23.5.09

DM Stith

DM Stith has a cold. He told us straight off. But anyway, he'd try and manage a few songs. This was a gig after all.

One gets the impression that DM Stith is never too far away from some malady or other. Stith has the look of a young Dylan and seems to share something of the great man's misanthropic leanings. If he's happy at all he's happiest on stage. There, he truly transforms.

And so with that less than promising health update the shows begins. I won't describe the music to you as I'd probably start spouting ludicrous hyperbole and saying stuff like 'dissonant', 'soundscape', 'meditation on', 'haunting' and so forth. And that wouldn't do anyone any good. You can find some proper reviews here.

Here's how much I enjoyed the show though. I bought, using real money, a CD. From Stith himself. Chatting to him afterwards he was disappointingly normal. Not in the least bit grumpy. He even offered to shake my hand. I politely declined telling him I didn't watch to catch anything.

No comments: