6.5.09

I've Never Seen Star Wars

There are many things in this life I've never done. I reckon I've done considerably less than 50% of all things possible. Perhaps more in the region of 0.00001%. I doubt that, even if I spent my remaining days on this earth doing absolutely nothing but things (wont happen, I prefer doing nothing), I'd even get near that giddy amount. 

I've recently become something of a fan of the show "I've Never Seen Star Wars" in which, host, Marcus Brigstocke, interviews celebrities and asks them to try things that, hitherto, they've had no exposure to. 

Thus I've witnessed Esther Rantzen reviewing Alien and listening to hip-hop. David Davies, MP, reading High Fidelity and listening to the Sex Pistols. And Nigel Havers getting a tattoo and listening to The Smiths. These are the only three episodes I've watched so far. Sounds crap doesn't it? The guest list is hardly inspiring.

But it isn't crap. It's great. Brigstocke is a fantastic host and brings the best out in his guests. He's funny but, crucially, he allows his guest to be the star of the show. You might think that matching guests and subjects so incongrously would merely provide shock factor but the show absolutely doesn't work like that. 

I don't get enthused like this about tv very often but I think this show is brilliant. I predict big things for the boy Brigstocke.

And, in true life, I've never seen Star Wars.

2 comments:

john said...

Caught the omne with Ranson the other night and was equally impressed. Would like to Havers get a tattoo...

musters said...

Other episodes have Clive Anderson, (the fragrant) Emily Maitlis, John Humphrys and Rory Mcgrath.

Mcgrath, bizarrely, had never seen Fawlty Towers or listened to Dark side Of The Moon!